The sweatshirt zipper jacket I created for a Stitch-N-Time class is one of my favorite "layers" to keep handy for the times I need to ward off a bit of the chill. Come to the class and find out how easily you can turn a sweatshirt into a simple jacket. Start with a plain sweatshirt in your size and put your embellishment creativity to work. If you have not embroidered on a sweatshirt before, this is your perfect opportunity to learn the skill before being guided through the insertion of a zipper.
- One crew neck sweatshirt
- One separator zipper at least as long as the front of the sweatshirt
- Thread to match sweatshirt
- Scrap of fabric (1” X 2”) to match sweatshirt
- Sewing machine
- Zipper foot
- Embroidery needle
- Thread snips
- Wash-away, double-sided 1/4” adhesive tape
- If adding hooped-embroidery, bring hoop and stabilizer. I recommend the sticky, wash-away Floriani brand for this project. Stabilizer will make any decorative thread work look better.
- Select an embroidery design (in your machine or on a memory stick)
- Threads for your embroidery design (Threads from Stitch ‘N Time are of an excellent quality for this project.)
- Bag lunch